口語英語口語英語學習材料

一分鐘英語 第165期:Clam Up

本文已影響 3.53K人 

Welcome to English in a minute.

歡迎來到《一分鐘英語》欄目!

A clam is a type of shellfish that lives in water.

蛤是一種生活在水裏的貝類。

But what do you think this idiom means? Clam Up

你覺得這個習語是什麼意思呢?保持沉默

Hey, how was your weekend?

嘿,你週末過得怎樣?

It was great. I went to on a nice bike ride and met with friends for dinner. What beautiful weather.

不錯。我去騎車了,還和朋友們一起見面吃了個飯。天氣很好。

And... How did your date go Friday with my friend Pat? Well..

那你週五和我朋友帕特的約會怎樣?額...

Uh, no, why are you clamming up? C'om, talk.

噢,不,你爲什麼不吭聲了?說吧。

I am sure he is great. I just don't think we're right for each other...

我知道他很好,只是我覺得我們不合適.

一分鐘英語 第165期:Clam Up

The "calm up" means to say nothing... or stop talking.

calm up的意思是什麼都不說,或者是停止說話。

This idiom compares a clam closing its shell to a person shutting his or her mouth.

這個習語是把蛤合上的樣子比喻成人合上嘴巴。

We use this expression to describe a person who, for whatever reason, does not want to give a response.

我們用這種表達方式來描述某人因爲某個原因不給出迴應。

And that's English in a minute.

以上就是英語一分鐘的內容。

猜你喜歡

熱點閱讀

最新文章