茶話會第89期:自己的事靠自己
本文已影響
2.04W人
一、邊聽邊學 Listen and Learn
to a T 完全地,確實地
pull strings 背後操作
one’s hands are tied 幫不上忙
throw one’s weight around 發揮影響力
put in one’s two cents 提出意見
waste one’s breath 白費口舌
make one’s own way 憑自己的努力
二、邊聽邊說 Listen and Speak
A: There’s a job opening in my company. It would suit you to a T.
我們公司有個工作機會,很適合你。
B: Could you pull some strings to get me hired?
你可以幫我得到這個工作嗎?
A: I can’t. My hands are tied.
沒辦法,我幫不上忙。
B: Don’t you know anyone who could throw his weight around?
你認識任何有影響的人嗎?
A: What about your brother? He’s a big shot. Maybe he could put in his two cents.
你哥哥如何?他是個有影響力的人物,或許可以幫你說句話。
B: Asking him is wasting my breath. I think I’ll have to make my own way.
求他沒用。我想自己的事還得靠自己。