口語英語實用生活英語口語

The english we speak(BBC教學)第89期:It's a joke 荒唐可笑

本文已影響 1.1W人 

The english we speak(BBC教學)第89期:It's a joke 荒唐可笑

Helen: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak from BBC Learning English, I'm Helen. With me today is quite a frustrated-looking Neil. Neil, what are you doing to that mobile phone?

海倫:大家好,歡迎來到BBC英語教學頻道的我們說的英語節目,我是海倫。今天我們請到了尼爾,他看上去非常生氣。尼爾,你拿着手機做什麼呢?

Neil: Argh, I can't get it to make a phone call. It does everything else: it takes photos, it connects to the internet, it even irons my shirts but it won't make a call!

尼爾:哎喲,我不能打電話。這部手機其它的功能都有:可以拍照,可以上網,甚至可以熨襯衫,可它就是不能打電話!

Helen: Your mobile phone irons your shirts?

海倫:你的手機可以燙襯衫?

Neil: No, not really, but honestly it does everything apart from the one thing I want it to do–make a phone call. It's a joke!

尼爾:不,實際上不是,說實話,它什麼功能都有,除了我希望它有的功能——打電話。真是荒唐!

Helen: A joke? But you're not laughing. It can't be a very funny joke.

海倫:玩笑?可是你並沒有笑啊。那並不是個有趣的玩笑。

Neil: Well if you say something is a joke in English it can also mean that it's not very good or not worthy of respect.

尼爾:嗯,英語中如果你說某件事很荒唐,可以是指那並不是很好,或者是不值得重視的事情。

Helen: Yes, 'joke' has a second meaning.

海倫:對,joke這個詞還有其它意思。

Example:

例子:

The investigation into police corruption was a complete joke. Everyone knows the officers were taking money but they were let off.

對有關警察腐敗問題的調查簡直荒唐可笑。所有人都知道警察收受賄賂了,可是他們卻被放走了。

The weather forecast was a total joke. It said it would be warm and sunny but it's freezing and raining.

天氣預報真是可笑。天氣預報說今天會是溫暖的明天,可是其實卻是個寒冷的雨天。

Helen: As you heard there in the example, the person described an investigation into police corruption as a joke. This doesn't mean it was funny. It means it wasn't serious. Also the weather forecast was so bad it was described as a joke.

海倫:就像你在例子中聽到的,人們形容對警察腐敗問題的調查荒唐可笑。這並不是說那很有趣。而是說那並不嚴謹。同樣天氣預報也很糟糕,所以也可以形容爲可笑。

Neil: Notice that you can add words before 'joke' to make the meaning even stronger. It's a complete joke.

尼爾:我們注意到你可以在可笑前加形容詞使意思更加強烈。這非常荒唐。

Helen: A complete joke.

海倫:非常荒唐。

Neil: It's a total joke.

尼爾:可笑透了。

Helen: A total joke.

海倫:可笑透了。

Neil: It's an absolute joke.

尼爾:絕對是荒唐的事情。

Helen: Anyway Neil, why don't you just read the instructions for your new mobile phone? Then you'll probably be able to work out how to make a call.

海倫:不管怎樣,尼爾,你爲什麼不看看新手機的說明書呢?然後你可能就知道怎麼打電話了。

Neil: I looked at the instructions but they're an absolute joke.

尼爾:我看過說明書了,可是那簡直荒唐透頂。

Helen: Oh really?

海倫:哦,真的嗎?

Neil: Well for a start they are in about 17 languages apart from English.

尼爾:首先,說明書上有17種語言,但就是沒有英語。

Helen: What a joke!

海倫:真是可笑!

Neil: Yeah I know.

尼爾:對,我知道。

Helen: Well we've heard lots of jokes in today's programme but there hasn't been much laughing.

海倫:今天我們在節目中聽了很多可笑的事,不過其實並不是很有趣。

Neil: Argh, what a useless piece of …

尼爾:哎喲,真是一個沒用的……

Helen: Let's hope Neil finally works out how to use his phone.

海倫:我們希望尼爾最後能弄明白如何使用他的手機。

Neil: Argh, this is beyond a joke, it really is…

尼爾:哎喲,這真是讓人無法接受,它真的是……

Helen: Join us again for The English We Speak.

海倫:歡迎大家收看下期我們說的英語節目。

Neil: Argh, mobiles…

尼爾:哎喲,手機……

重點講解:
1. let off
對…寬大處理;
eg. Because he was a Christian, the judge let him off.
由於他是基督徒,法官便對他從輕發落。
eg. When police realised who he was, they asked for an autograph and let him off with a warning.
警察知道他是誰後,便向他要了簽名,然後只給了他個警告就放他走了。
2. be worthy of
值得…的;應該獲得…的;
eg. We esteem him to be worthy of trust.
我們認爲他值得信任。
eg. His spirit of assiduous study is worthy of emulation.
他刻苦鑽研的精神,值得效法。
3. for a start
首先;第一;
eg. You must get her name and address, and that can be a problem for a start.
你必須先打聽到她的姓名和地址,而那可能就是第一個難題。
eg. It comes as a surprise to be reminded that he is 70. For a start, he doesn't look it.
有人提醒我他 70 歲了,這很令人驚訝。首先,他看上去不像。
4. apart from
除…外;此外;
eg. I have nothing more to ask you about apart from these questions.
除了這些問題,我沒有別的要了解了。
eg. Apart from my host, I didn't know a single person there.
除了主人外,那裏的人我一個也不認識。
5. beyond a joke
(惱人或令人擔心的事)不可理喻,使人無法接受;
eg. Giving an arsonist a lighter is beyond a joke.
把打火機交給縱火犯簡直是不可理喻。
eg. I'm not afraid of a fair fight but this is beginning to get beyond a joke.
“我不怕公平地打上一架,但是這玩笑有點兒開過頭了。”

猜你喜歡

熱點閱讀

最新文章