口語英語口語英語學習材料

課本上學不到的口語表達第三波

本文已影響 1.12W人 

課本上學不到的口語表達第三波

01 I beat you to it.

►beat somebody to it:
比某人搶先一步做了某事。

▷I was just about to open some wine but I see you've beaten me to it.
我剛想開瓶酒呢,看來你搶在我前頭開了啊。

02 Jimmy stood me up last night.

►stand someone up:
放某人鴿子。爽約。

▷He stood up his date while he played basketball with the guys.
他因爲和基友們打籃球,放了女朋友的鴿子。

03 All I want to do is zone out in front of the TV.

►zone out:
指讓思想放空,對週遭事物渾然不覺。Zone是區域的意思,zone out相當於思想遊離到另一個地方去了……

▷At the end of a long, stressful day, all I want to do is go home and zone out in front of the television.
經過漫長的壓力山大的一天,我現在只想回家坐在電視機前發呆。

►in the zone:
相反的,in the zone就是指精力集中,精神狀態極佳,尤指運動員、表演者的表現。

▷I love when I'm running on a nice day with my headphones on and I just get in the zone. I feel like I can keep running forever.
我喜歡天氣好的時候戴上耳機去跑步,感覺精神狀態特別好,好像能永遠跑下去。

04 Without further ado, I would like to...

►without further ado [ə'du:]:
閒話少說;進入正題。Ado意思是忙亂、紛擾、麻煩……

▷And so, without further ado, let me introduce you to tonight's speaker.
所以,閒話少說,下面就有請今晚的演講嘉賓。

05 I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.

►haven't seen the last of (something):
某事物消失了,但你覺得它還會捲土重來,就可以用這個表達。

▷We got rid of the ants in the kitchen, but I bet we haven't seen the last of them.
我們把廚房裏的螞蟻都弄走了,不過我打賭它們還會出現的。

這是一個比較戲劇化的說法,所以常在電視裏聽到。比如反派被打敗了,也許會有這樣的臺詞

▷You win this time, but you haven't seen the last of me!
這次算你贏!但別以爲我就會這麼消失!滅哈哈哈……

06 It will come to me.

►it will come to someone:
會想起來的。忘了什麼事的時候,可以說這句話。

▷It'll come to you. The minute you stop trying to find it, it will find you.
你會想起來的。你不去費勁去找它的時候,它就會自動出現。

07 We went out of our way to please the visitor.

►go out of one's way:
努力、費盡麻煩做某事。

▷I went out of my way to make sure they were comfortable.
我費盡心力確保他們能住得舒服。

▷We appreciate anything you can do, but don't go out of your way.
你做的一切我們都很感激,但千萬別太麻煩自己。

08 Hold on. Just hear me out first.

►hear someone out:
聽某人說完他想說的,或者,傾聽某一方的說法。

▷Let him talk! Hear him out! Listen to his side!
讓他說!聽他說完!看看他怎麼說!

▷Hear out the witness. Don't jump to conclusions.
我們要所有證人的證詞都聽一遍,不要武斷下結論。

09 So do we have an agreement?

►do we have an agreement:
通常在商定一件事後說的話。對方同意了,就表示討論的事情就這麼定下了。

也可以說:

▷Do we have a deal?
那就這麼定了?

▷Do we have an understanding?
我們都很明確對方的想法對吧?

10 Just a heads up.

►a heads up:
給某人提個醒,提前告知一聲。“Heads up”說法來自體育運動,在扔球前,讓對方擡頭,別被砸着。後來廣泛用於社交場合。

▷Just a heads up - we're going to have to meet soon.
先跟你說一聲,我們很快會見面的。

▷I wanted to give you a heads up that I'll be sending you the revised form for your approval.
我想提前告訴你一下,我一會兒把修改好的表格發給你審覈。

11 When's it due?

►due:
通常指交作業、交賬單的最後期限。

▷When is this paper due?
論文要什麼時候交?

另外,如果due的對象是人,那麼意思多半指預產期。

▷When are you due?
你啥時候生?

12 Well, what's done is done!

►what's done is done:|
無法改變的事情,只能將就了。文縐縐一點就是,覆水難收、木已成舟。

▷It's too late to change it now. What's done is done.
現在換已經來不及啦,認了吧。

13 Can you put me up for a few days?

►put someone up:
給某人提供臨時住宿。

▷When my in-laws were here we put them up at the Four Seasons.
老婆家的親戚來的時候,我們安排他們住四季酒店了。

14 I might take you up on that.

►take someone up on something:
接受某人的邀請,或接受某人提出的建議。

▷I took him up on his offer to take me out to dinner.
他邀我約會吃飯,我答應了。

也可以用這個表達來接受某人的打賭挑戰。

▷He bet me twenty bucks that I couldn't get a perfect score, and I took him up on it.
他賭20塊我考不好,我決定跟他賭一把。

15 I'm keeping my options open.

►keep one's options open:
等待中,尚未做決定。Option是選擇、選項。

▷I want to keep my options open, so I didn't sign the contract yet.
我想再等等看,所以還沒簽合同。

16 You might want to reconsider it.

►you might want to (do something):
建議某人做某事的禮貌說法。適用於各種場合,是對陌生人、同事或親密的人都可以用的句法。

▷Babe, you might want to trim that beard...
親愛的,你是不是該修修鬍子啦……

▷You might want to spend more time studying and less time playing video games.
你應該多花些時間在學習上,少玩些遊戲。

►類似地,告誡對方不要做某事,可以說,you don't want to...

▷You don't want to rush things.
不要操之過急。

17 We've just been catching up with each other.

►catch up with (someone):
朋友之間彼此瞭解近況。

▷It was so lovely catching up with you.
能和你聊聊近況真開心。

18 There is just no such thing as God.

►There is just no such thing as... :
某種情況是不存在的。

▷There's no such thing as love. It's just fantasy.
根本沒有“愛情”這回事。不過是你的幻想而已。

19 I think you need to get your priorities straight.

►get one's priorities straight:

分清主次。Priority [prai'ɔrəti],指優先考慮的事情。

▷Our top priority right now is making sure that everyone is OK.
我們目前的當務之急是確保每個人都無恙。

▷Amazing how fire exposes our priorities.
大火能暴露我們最在意的東西,真神奇。

20 To put it another way, I don't like it.

►to put it another way:
換言之。Put,有表達的意思。

▷You're still very young, Tom. To put it another way, you don't have any idea about what you're getting into.
湯姆,你還太年輕。換句話說,你不知道自己現在正陷入什麼。

▷Well, that's one way to put it.
好吧,也可以這麼說。

▷The subject matter makes the painting a little, how shall I put it, undesirable for public display.
這幅畫的主題有點……該怎麼說呢,不大適合展覽出來。

21 I get yelled at all the time.

►get yelled at:
字面意思就是被人吼,被人罵。指受到批評、責罵。

▷I got yelled at for not calling.
我沒打電話,被罵了。

▷Do you get yelled at a lot in the military?
在部隊裏會經常被訓斥嗎?

22 I will check on Jeff while he's not feeling well.

►check (up/in) on something/someone:
查看某人某事的情況,比如監督下屬的工作狀況、關心病人的病情、留意小孩是否安全等……

▷Go upstairs to check up on the children and make sure they're all asleep.
上樓去看看孩子們睡了沒。

▷I just thought I'd check in on you and see how you're doing.
我就是想來看看你好些了沒。

23 It happens. Don't worry about it.

►it happens:
糟糕的事情發生時,用來安慰人的說法。相當於說,倒黴的事時常發生,別太在意。粗俗一點,還可以說,shit happens。

▷A: My girlfriend just broke up with me.
我女票跟我掰了……

B: It happens.
節哀順變。

▷John stepped in a big pile of dog shit, so Tom said "it happens".
約翰踩到狗屎了,湯姆說,踩踩更健康。

24 It's on me.

►it's on me:
我來付賬。也可以說,This one's on me.

▷John: Check, please.
你好,結賬。

Bill: No, it's on me this time.
別啊,這頓我請。

►商家免費送的商品或服務,可以說on the house.

▷I was the ten thousandth customer, so my dinner was on the house.
我是第一萬個客戶,所以那頓晚餐就免費了。

▷Here, have a cup of coffee on the house.
免費送您一杯咖啡,請慢用。

25 My computer is acting up again.

►act up
(疾病)發作;(機器)出毛病;(孩子)調皮搗蛋。

▷My left knee acts up in damp weather.
天氣一潮我左膝蓋就發作。

▷The children have been acting up all evening.
整個晚上孩子們都在調皮搗蛋。

26 Is that a thing?

►(something) is a thing:
很流行很出名,或者人人熟知的某事物,可以叫“a thing”。這是年輕人常用的口語說法,正式場合慎用。

▷A: His ideas are so out-of-the-box. They're boxless!
他腦洞實在太大了,想法好新奇,完全是boxless!

注:out-of-the-box:形容不同尋常的創意想法。

B: "Boxless?" Is that a thing?
Boxless?現在人們都這麼說了麼?

A: No, I just made it up.
呃,沒,我剛瞎編的。

▷Huge, baggy suits were kind of a thing back in those days.
那時候特別流行那種寬寬大大的西裝。

27 It doesn't hurt to ask.

►it doesn't hurt to:
做某件事有百利而無一害。

▷It doesn't hurt to have a group of talented, educated people living in your community.
小區裏住着一羣有才、有教養的人沒什麼不好的。

28 I'm just looking.

►just looking...
表示隨便看看,是購物時遇到推銷的導購,最好的回答。

▷-Hi, can I help you?
你好,需要幫忙嗎?

-No thanks, I'm just looking!
不用了,謝謝,我就隨便看看。

猜你喜歡

熱點閱讀

最新文章

推薦閱讀