點滴英語天天學第298期:雅思詞彙(138)
1. Expression:mad as wet hen
Explanation:Enraged; extremely or inconsolably angry. (非常生氣)
Usage:這個短語實省略了as,可以在 mad前面加上as,即:as mad as a wet hen。
Example:My dad was mad as a wet hen after I crashed his car.
我把我爸的車撞壞了,他氣得發瘋。
You make me as mad as a wet hen with the way you carry on sometimes, you know that?
你有時候讓我很生氣,是因爲你做事的方式,你意識到這點嗎?
Everybody that was not invited was as mad as a wet hen.
沒有受到邀請的人個個都很生氣。
2. Expression:like a hen with one chicken
Explanation:Extremely anxious and overprotective. (極度焦慮而過度保護,在小事情上瞎操心,大驚小怪的)
Example:A: I can't believe your curfew is only nine o'clock.
真不敢相信你的宵禁時間在9點鐘。
B: Yeah, my mom can be like a hen with one chick sometimes.
是的,我母親有時候在小事情上瞎操心。
She never lets her son go out on his own; she's like a hen with one chicken.
她從來不讓她兒子單獨外出,她總是大驚小怪的。
3. Expression:hen party
Explanation:A gossipy party attended by women. (女人蔘加的閒聊式的聚會,女人蔘加的八卦聚會)
Expression:The girls at work planned a hen party for Sarah since she is due to get married soon.
由於薩拉很快就準備結婚了,所以公司裏的姑娘們爲她準備了一個閒聊式的聚會。
I'll be home tonight to take care of the kids because Susan has a hen party with the women she went to college with. Friday it's my turn - I'm going to a stag party to play poker.
我今晚得在家照顧孩子,因爲Susan要去參加以前大學女同學的婦女閒聊式的聚會。然而星期五將輪到我出去,我要去參加男子聚會打撲克。
My wife had a hen party at our house yesterday so I went to the movie.
因爲昨天我太太在我們家裏舉行一場閒聊式的聚會,所以我就去看電影了。